RESEARCH TRIANGLE PARK – Tens of thousands of jobs are up for grabs across the Triangle, especially in the areas of biotech, health care, banking and education, as today’s Jobs Report shows.
The Triangle’s presence on major job search engines has been in flux for several months. Over the last week, the total number of Triangle-area openings declined on some national job boards but rose on others. Glassdoor, for example, has 3,314 fewer jobs in the RTP area from a week ago. And Indeed.com shows a drop of about 3,000 jobs across Raleigh, Durham and Chapel Hill, compared to the same time last week.
However, other job sites show decent gains. LinkedIn shows 1,670 more jobs in Raleigh and 728 more jobs in Durham from a week ago, and about 10,000 openings were posted in both cities over the last week.
WRAL TechWire’s weekly Jobs Report compiles the latest information from the region’s top job boards, offering a breakdown of how many jobs are posted, which companies are hiring and for what positions. We’ve also included upcoming job fairs, student-centric resources and a list of Twitter accounts that track local job openings.
Here’s what’s new since last week’s Jobs Report.
National Job Boards
Here’s a look at the total number of local jobs posted on national job boards compared to last week, as of Sunday afternoon.
- ⇑ Wake County: 40,216 jobs (+1,227 from a week ago)
- ⇓ Raleigh: 20,600 (-2,521)
- ⇑ Durham County: 9,954 (+535)
- Dice.com (using the 5-mile radius filter):
- ⇓ Raleigh: 15,703 (-1,113)
- ⇓ Durham: 15,461 (-1,121)
- ⇓ Chapel Hill: 15,278 (-1,123)
- Glassdoor: ⇓ 44,516 jobs in the Research Triangle Park area (-3,314)
- Indeed (5-mile radius filter):
- ⇓ Raleigh: 14,877 (-1,264)
- ⇓ Durham: 9,196 (-775)
- ⇓ Chapel Hill: 2,826 (-629)
- InHerSight: Pages upon pages of jobs across the RTP area
- LinkedIn (using the “exact location” and “0-miles” filters):
- ⇑ Raleigh: 29,550 (+1,670), with 9,153 jobs posted in the past week
- ⇑ Durham: 13,874 (+728), with 2,740 jobs posted in the past week
- ⇓ Chapel Hill: 2,525 (-158), with 483 jobs posted in the past week
- Remote Tech Jobs: Several remote jobs offered by Triangle-area employers
- ZipRecruiter (5-mile filter):
- ⇑ Raleigh: 32,775 (+122)
- ⇑ Durham: 14,520 (+187)
- ⇓ Chapel Hill: 3,486 (-65)
Pay jumps at record rate as employers scramble to fill jobs
Startup Job Search Sites
Aside from the boards above, job seekers can also find local startup jobs at SimplyHired (244 startup jobs near Research Triangle Park), LinkedIn (6,520 results in and around Raleigh), Indeed (318 startup jobs in/near RTP), and AngelList (job openings in Raleigh, Durham and across North Carolina).
Here’s a look at local and regional job sites, listed in alphabetical order:
AMA Triangle, the fifth-largest chapter in American Marketing Association’s nationwide network, aims to be a go-to resource for all things marketing in the Triangle. AMA Triangle provides professional training, free career webinars and a job board offering free resume placement for marketing professionals.
As of Sunday afternoon, AMA Triangle’s job board shows 74 marketing jobs in Raleigh, 33 in Durham and 15 in Chapel Hill (using the 25-mile radius filter).
Two local employers posted openings last week:
- Enact Mortgage Insurance is looking to hire a marketing communications manager and a marketing content specialist in Raleigh.
- North Carolina State University seeks a marketing and customer journey strategist in Raleigh.
Durham-based startup hub American Underground regularly posts job openings on its job board. Job seekers can filter their search by job function, location, company, industry and job title. As of Sunday afternoon, the site shows 224 jobs at 42 companies.
Several jobs were added to the site over the last week:
- Real estate startup Acre Labs added a remote job opening for a people lead.
- California-based parking operator platform AirGarage added several remote job openings, including account executive, data analyst, designer, engineering manager, executive assistant, head of sales, software engineer, product manager, recruiter, sales development representative, senior software engineer and head of talent.
- EnMass Energy, a supply chain procurement and operations platform, is hiring a senior full-stack developer.
- Durham-based data science firm NoviSci posted two remote job openings for senior backend software engineers.
- Insurtech startup Noyo added two remote jobs for a senior product manager and a fulfillment specialist.
- Durham health tech startup Pattern Health is seeking a technical writer.
- Insurtech startup Policygenius in Durham is looking to hire a vice president of business analytics.
- Web development consulting firm Savas Labs seeks a front-end developer in Durham.
- Durham-based payments software provider Spreedly is hiring a director of revenue operations (with a remote option).
- Durham’s Tiny Earth Toys, a toy subscription service, seeks a lead software engineer.
- Durham publishing startup Written Word Media is hiring a remote content specialist.
Earlier this year, WRAL TechWire and the North Carolina Biotechnology Center launched a Bio Jobs Hub platform focused on biopharma manufacturing — one of North Carolina’s largest industries, employing over 26,000 people.
Typical biopharma jobs include process technicians, maintenance and/or instrumentation technicians, quality assurance and quality control associates, process development scientists and process engineers. This industry also offers competitive entry-level salaries, from $42,000 to $60,000.
From flying B-52s to caring for parents to a biotech career: Air Force vet’s ‘colorful work history’
Scientists, skilled laborers and recent graduates can use the Bio Jobs Hub resource to find career and training opportunities in their area. Users can search by location, job category/activity and region.
Many biopharma companies are hiring in the Triangle, including large employers like Biogen in Research Triangle Park, bioMérieux in Durham, GSK in Zebulon, Merck & Co. in Durham, Novo Nordisk in Durham and Clayton, Pfizer in Sanford, and others.
Survey: 63% of women who left jobs during pandemic are ready to return to work
Leadership Triangle’s job board is packed with local jobs. The site displays 618 openings at 28 companies as of Sunday afternoon.
Here’s what’s been posted in the last week:
- Bee Downtown is looking to hire an intern in the Raleigh/Durham area.
- Bland Landscaping added listings for an estimator and an accounts payable subcontract administrator in Apex.
- Blue Cross NC added over a dozen positions in Durham, including senior appeal analyst, principal data consultant, senior divisional compliance consultant, principal customer experience design advisor, accountant, senior program manager, senior product manager, appeals auditor, special government programs director, operations SHP manager, VP of claims, VP of membership operations, legal intern (summer 2022), principal business support advisor, senior salesforce administrator, membership professional, senior product owner and senior marketing communications specialist.
- Capitol Broadcasting Company (WRAL TechWire’s parent company) in Raleigh is hiring a sports producer, a baseball sponsorship services coordinator, a promotions producer, an HR recruiter/generalist, an engineering director and a broadcast technician.
- Coastal Credit Union added three jobs for an account manager in Durham and a web developer and contact center specialist in Raleigh.
- North Carolina Central University in Durham posted several positions, including university program specialist (pre-award research administrator), facility maintenance technicians in mechanical trades, facility maintenance in building trades (locksmith), university program compliance manager, executive assistant and dean of the college of health and sciences.
- Self-Help Credit Union is hiring multiple interns in Durham. Openings span its development, maintenance, facilities, and climate and sustainability departments.
- Truist posted several jobs at its Triangle-area locations. Open positions include software engineers, financial services specialists, relationship bankers, tellers/senior tellers, a software engineering group head, a technology business office director, a senior cloud cybersecurity engineer, lead infrastructure engineers and a surety commercial lines account executive.
- William Peace University in Raleigh is looking to add a director of student involvement, a women’s soccer head coach and an admissions director.
The North Carolina Biotechnology Center’s extensive jobs board lists open jobs and internships from local life science companies and research organizations. Users can filter by job category, employment type (full-time, part-time and contractor), keywords, postal code and radius.
NCBiotech also touts jobs through its Bio Jobs Hub program.
Dozens of jobs were added to NCBiotech’s board over the last week (since Oct. 25):
- Bioanalytical and bioassay lead, research associate, senior talent acquisition partner, senior director of biostatistics and clinical development, and translational laboratory manager at AskBio in Durham
- Quality control operations manager, raw materials senior buyer planner, supplier quality management specialist/senior specialist, manufacturing specialist/senior specialist, senior manufacturing manager and supply chain MRP lead at Beam Therapeutics in RTP
- Animal nutritionist at BioResource International in Durham
- Senior associate scientist of analytical development and CMC at BridgeBio Gene Therapy in Raleigh
- Postdoctoral associate, research technicians (multiple openings), lab research analyst and senior research associate at the Duke Human Vaccine Institute in Durham
- Clinical laboratory scientist and clinical laboratory technologist at Galaxy Diagnostics in RTP
- Research/lab manager associate at the Gersbach Lab at Duke University in Durham
- Life Edit Therapeutics in RTP added several openings, including a director of chemistry, manufacturing and controls, a laboratory automation director, a senior scientist in mammalian cell gene editing and a protein engineering senior scientist.
- Chemist or biochemist and chemist/biochemist intern at MedKoo Biosciences in Morrisville
- Engineering validation specialist, manufacturing intern, technician, associate production technician, senior EHS specialist, associate director of operations and engineering associate director at Merck & Co. in Durham
- Vice president of corporate communications at the North Carolina Biotechnology Center in RTP
- Degradation mechanisms group leader at Oerth Bio in Durham
- Gene therapy research associate and gene therapy scientist at Precision BioSciences in Durham
- Process and product development director at Seqirus in Holly Springs
- Research scientist at Symberix in Durham
- Assistant warehouse operations coordinator (temporary associate) at United Therapeutics in Durham
The North Carolina Technology Association (NC TECH) has an interactive job board you can use to find your next career opportunity. Users can search by keyword, location, category, type (full-time or part-time) and experience level.
A few new jobs were posted last week:
- Durham software firm CrossComm added listings for a director of operations and a lead backend developer.
- Technology nonprofit MCNC is hiring a cybersecurity engineer in RTP.
Jobs recovery faces numerous challenges – but unemployment claims drop
NCWorks, the statewide job search portal run by the North Carolina Department of Commerce, has nearly 100 career centers located across the state. Users can filter NCWorks’ database by keyword, location, occupation group or specific occupations, minimum acceptable salary, education level, job sources and date posted. NCWorks also has a mobile app on the Apple App Store and Google Play Store.
North Carolina military veterans, transitioning service members and spouses can find additional resources on NCWorks’ separate veterans portal.
More than 1,700 resumes were updated on the site in the past week, as of Sunday evening. NCWorks reports thousands of available positions across the Triangle area.
In Wake County, the top employers with the most job openings on NCWorks are*:
- Wake County Public School System
- North Carolina State University
- WakeMed Health and Hospitals
- UNC Health Care System
- UNC Rockingham Health Care
Here are the top companies/organizations by job openings in Durham County:
- Duke University
- Durham Public Schools
- Cree Wolfspeed
- Duke University Health System
- Duke University and Duke University Health System
And here are the top employers in Orange County:
- UNC Chapel Hill
- UNC Health Care System
- UNC Rockingham Health Care
- Chapel Hill-Carrboro City Schools
- Orange County Schools
*Note: This data was gathered through NCWorks’ Labor Market Information portal. NC Commerce confirmed with TechWire that this search pathway has a thorough process to remove duplicate job listings. Check employers’ websites directly for the latest information.
Raleigh Founded, a startup incubator and coworking space, has its own job board. Job seekers can filter results by company, company size or industry. The site currently lists 340 positions at 30 companies, as of Sunday afternoon.
Here’s what’s new on the site over the last week:
- MedPharm, a product design and development firm, is hiring a tissue culture senior scientist in Durham.
- Raleigh software startup Pendo added listings for an SDR enablement lead and a value consultant.
- Veeva Systems, a cloud software provider with an office in Raleigh, is seeking talent for several remote positions: Android engineers, solution consultants, sales directors, a senior salesforce developer, a senior business consultant and a sustaining data operations engineer.
This isn’t a job board per se, but the Research Triangle Cleantech Cluster’s list of job search sources is a helpful resource for job seekers in the clean energy sector. The list has links to career opportunities from the organization’s members and partners.
Leadership Triangle, Raleigh Founded and American Underground recently teamed up to create the Triangle Region Job Board, which synthesizes all of the openings posted on the organizations’ job boards. (Those openings are listed under their respective subheadings above.)
As of Sunday afternoon, the site shows 1,847 jobs from 86 companies. The latest Triangle-area openings (excluding remote jobs) come from the following employers:
- ArchiveSocial (Durham)
- Bee Downtown (Durham)
- Bland Landscaping (Apex)
- Blue Cross NC (Durham)
- Capitol Broadcasting Company (Raleigh)
- Citrix (Raleigh)
- Coastal Credit Union (Raleigh and Durham)
- EnMass Energy (Durham)
- MedPharm (Durham)
- North Carolina Central University (Durham)
- Pattern Health (Durham)
- Pendo (Raleigh)
- Policygenius (Durham)
- Savas Labs (Durham)
- Spreedly (Durham)
- Truist (multiple locations)
- William Peace University (Raleigh)
Labor crunch: For every unemployed person in NC there’s a job opening
Work in the Triangle, a Wake County Economic Development program, shares new openings daily through its Twitter feed, @WorkTriangleNC. And the search continues to be intense for talent to fill thousands of open jobs both inside and outside the Triangle tech sector.
Every Tuesday, Work in the Triangle’s #TriangleTuesdays hashtag lists hot jobs.
Posts from last Tuesday (Oct. 26) included openings from:
Scroll through the #TriangleTuesdays hashtag on Twitter for more details on the openings.
New Jobs at Mycovia Pharmaceuticals
Last month, RTP-based Mycovia Pharmaceuticals told TechWire that it’s hiring for several positions in project management, market access, insights and analytics, marketing and quality assurance. The late-stage biopharma company is developing drugs to meet women’s health needs.
A Mycovia spokesperson says it plans to add around nine employees through the fourth quarter of 2021. Its current headcount is 21.
Open positions include:
- Commercial project manager
- Director of trade and patient support
- Senior director of pricing and contract analytics
- VP of value access and trade
- Senior director of insights and analytics
- Senior product manager
- Quality assurance manager
New Jobs at Terra Dotta
Chapel Hill-based edtech company Terra Dotta told TechWire in late-August that it’s continuing to hire in the greater RTP area and anticipates another 10 new hires across sales, product development and marketing before the end of the year. The firm already has about 35 employees in the Triangle area.
Its latest openings are for a product marketing manager and a professional services manager. Read more and apply here.
The boost in hiring comes as the company just made the Inc. 5000 list and is celebrating its 20th anniversary. Terra Dotta CEO Anthony Rotoli says, “This level of growth isn’t as common in a more mature company, but we are actively hiring to continue a high growth trajectory and support the international program and global engagement priorities of higher education, both in North Carolina and nationwide.”
Want a raise? Job ‘switchers’ making considerably more money, report shows
Upcoming Job Fairs and Career Events
Innovative Careers for PhDs: Nov. 3, 10 a.m. – 2 p.m. (online)
This free webinar will explore post-PhD careers in startups and private industry. The event will feature a keynote from Dara Wilson-Grant, associate director of UNC’s Office of Postdoctoral Affairs, as well as a workshop on transferable skills and breakout sessions with alumni.
WRAL Capital Area Expo: Nov. 4, 10 a.m. – 3 p.m. (online)
The WRAL Capital Area Expo will bring together job seekers to explore a wide range of job openings in the area. Job seekers can meet with recruits in virtual booths, upload multiple resumes and discuss their qualifications with recruiters. Registration is free.
WRAL Capital Area Workforce Expo set for Nov. 4 – it’s virtual, free
NC Master’s & Doctoral Virtual Career Fair: Nov. 4, 12-4 p.m. (online)
Duke University, NC State University, UNC Chapel Hill, UNC Charlotte, UNC Greensboro and Wake Forest University will convene hundreds of advanced degree alumni, candidates and postdocs to meet with companies looking for new talent.
NC State’s Data Science Virtual Career Expo: Nov. 9, 10 a.m. – 3 p.m. (online)
NC State students and alumni who are interested in pursuing a career in data science can join this virtual career expo to meet employers and learn more about the field.
Startup Internship Meet and Greet: Nov. 10, 4 p.m. @UNC Chapel Hill, Polk Place
Innovate Carolina and Central Carolina Community College are hosting an event for students to network and explore internship opportunities with local startups.
NC State’s Spatial Connect Virtual Career Fair: Nov. 17, 1-5 p.m. (online)
Students interested in geospatial analytics and spatial data science can join this virtual career fair to learn more about the field and network with employers.
Wake Tech Community College Business & IT Spring 2022 Career Fair: Feb. 9, 9 a.m. – 12 p.m. (online)
In February 2022, Wake Tech will host an online job fair for business and information technology students looking for new career opportunities.
More Job Resources for Local Students
If you’re a student looking for an internship or entry-level position at a local company or organization, your university has resources to help you get started. Quick links below:
Twitter Accounts to Follow
Here are some locally run Twitter accounts that regularly share job openings in the Triangle: